Director of Safety
REACH Air Medical Services
Our committment to safety is at the very core of what do and how we deliver services to our patients and customers in thier greatest moment of need, every day, across the Global Medical Response (GMR) Family of Companies.
The REACH Air Medical Services Director of Safety will plan, direct, and coordinate the safety department to develop and implement programs and procedures that provide all employees with tools and skills necessary to perform jobs in a safe work environment. Through a systems approach to safety, the Director of Safety is responsible for the surveillance of operating activities and behaviors, investigating accidents, injuries, and incidents to determine root cause and identify mitigating actions to prevent future occurrences.
- Lead the Reach Medical Holdings (RMH) group of safety professionals in the design, development, implementation, and monitoring of safety programs across the company.
- Serve as advisor to senior management on decisions regarding planning, forecasting and measuring safety and risk management performance.
- Exercise a management style that is team oriented, proactive and customer service driven to build, supervise, and mentor a comprehensive safety management team to ensure effectiveness, appropriate workload balance, and career pathing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and open dialogue at all levels of the organization to enable a sustainable culture of safe operations.
- Develop and implement company-wide Safety Incentive programs to ensure that internal organization and personnel are recognized for their contributions and safety performance.
Training & Cultural Development
- Promote all aspects of a safety culture appropriate to the scope of the operation, including instituting safety goals and publicizing them to all Reach employees.
- Develop, maintain, and evolve the Reach safety management system (SMS) to ensure effectiveness and ongoing relevance to the changing environment.
- Develop systems and processes to ensure awareness, understanding, and acknowledgement of employees’ respective contribution and role required to sustain a safe operating environment.
- Develop, implement and ensure awareness and the completion of relevant safety education and training for all Reach employees.
- Responsible for the quality, relevance, and delivery of the safety components of the new hire and recurrent training programs.
- Establish and monitor management information systems to accurately measure safety and risk performance. As necessary, revise or implement new policies to enhance safety and reduce the Reach risk profile.
- Collaborate with Reach clinical elements in the design, development, implementation and revision of programs to enhance patient care, reduce the risk of patient injury and improve patient advocacy.
- Establish relevant predictive analytics and key performance indicators (KPIs) that can be linked back to management actions.
- Review and recommend initiatives to enhance safety in the operation of aircraft, aircraft maintenance, standardization and training, ground operations, industrial safety, and physical plant safety.
- Monitor and perform periodic audits of all Reach activities to ensure compliance with internal safety policies and procedures. Document audit findings, make recommendations, and monitor corrective and preventative actions.
- Monitor the safety reporting program and ensure that it remains easily accessible for Reach personnel to report mishaps, hazards, and other reportable items.
- Prepare and manage the annual operating and capital budgets for the Reach safety department.
- Provide assistance to regulatory agencies, law enforcement, and insurance personnel as requested during accident, incident and occurrence investigations.
- Organize and lead internal teams to perform event analysis investigations for all accidents, incidents and occurrences.
- Responsible for monitoring compliance with relevant State and Federal safety regulations.
- Represent Reach interests among national industry and safety associations.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to Reach management or government officials on safety, health and risk management.
- Collaborate with clinical and operations leaders to ensure awareness of emerging issues and provide consultative support.
- Works on special projects and performs other job-related duties as needed.
ORGANIZATIONAL CORE BEHAVIORS
• Employee must consistently exhibit our guiding principles:
• Patient Care - We continually earn the privilege to care for our patients. It is at the forefront of everything we do.
• One Team - We respect each other and achieve together what no individual can alone.
• Innovation - We are driven to develop solutions that inspire progress.
• Vigilance - We will never waver in our commitment to safety and preparedness in the fulfillment of our duties.
• Ownership - We are accountable for what we do and take pride in how we do it.
• Citizenship - We are dedicated to being good stewards in the communities we serve.
- Experience with FAA Safety Management System Voluntary Program or CFR 14 Part 5 requirements preferred.
- Experience with HAZMAT, and EPA regulations.
- Experience with on-demand helicopter and fixed wing operations with related aviation safety programs.
- Experience in general industrial systems related to safety and health.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written, organizational, analytical and presentation skills
- Experience with Word processing and Excel.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in risk management, the development and implementation of general industrial systems related to safety and health.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience
- Undergraduate or Graduate Degree in Occupational Safety and Health, preferred
(Knowledge of and demonstrated experience with)
- Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations
- Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) regulations
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) & HAZMAT regulations
- Occupational Safety Health Administration (OSHA) regulations
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, leadership technique, and the coordination of people and resources.
- Ability to analyze problems and develop solutions within the policies and procedures of the organization as well as state and federal regulations.
- Experience with management of on-demand rotary wing operations with related aviation safety programs.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written, organization, analytical and presentation skills
- Experience with Word, Excel, and analytic techniques
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL & MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- Some exposure to physical risk.
- Mental requirements include decision-making and problem-solving skills, facilitation skills, ability to relate to diverse groups of employees, and the ability to positively work with others and provide guidance and direction.
- Physical requirements include speaking, hearing, and visual acuity. May be required to sit for long periods of time. Must be able to lift up to10 pounds.
- May be required to sit for long periods of time.
- Limited physical effort required.
- May be required to travel approximately 40% of the time.
- Reports to: GMR Vice President of Safety and GMR West Group Air COO.
- Interrelationships: Safety team, Leadership, Employees.